Sunday, February 14, 2010

Where do we go from here?

I know that the blogsphere has been silent ever since Alexander McQueen's tragic death appeared in headlines around the world, but I've cried for long enough and the main thing on my mind is, where does this label go from here?
I don't want the label to be closed. I know no one can ever even come close to being on his level of talent, but I remember reading an interview with him where he said 'I'm 40 now. When I'm dead, I want the label to keep going.' (okay, that's not worded completely correctly, because I can't find the interview, but it was something closely along those lines)
I couldn't stand to see it just dissapear like that. Although I would hate it if it turned into another Ungaro. I don't want Gucci to just abandon the label, not without trying to keep it going. Don't abandon ship, please.
'I heard something very interesting from someone at the Alexander McQueen store in Las Vegas (I called to place an order for a scarf as Holt Renfrew in Vancouver is apparently sold out according to my Twitter contacts). He said that there is someone who could take over for McQueen. Lee’s assistant (I believe he said her name is Sarah) has been with him ever since college and, while Lee himself designs all of the couture-wear, most of the ready to wear are her own designs. She is well versed enough in his archives and his style well enough to confidently continue the line. The question is-will the McQueen family allow her (or anyone) to continue on the line using his namesake? Or will Gucci Group decide to scrap the line regardless? I truly hope that they consider this woman to take over the line. It is tragic enough to lose such an iconic designer, but what a loss it would be if the line he built up over the past couple of decades will come to such an untimely end as well. For his sake, I really hope this isn’t the end of McQueen.'

quote; Etceteraism
I think that with the help of his long time assistant, and some younger talent onboard, McQueen could be restored. It will never be the same, of course, but having some ready-to-wear is a consolence.
But who is this young talent?
Well, I'm not sure. But there is one person who has been crossing my mind. I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but Christian Siriano could be promising. Not as a main designer, not yet, but he could be a valuable addition to a McQueen design team. I am a big fan of him, and I see shades of Alexander in him.
Along with his muses like Daphne Guiness, I think they could pull together a good design team. And I'd probably buy from it.

2 comments:

mariam said...

Cute blog
I know, it makes me sad thinking about it
Alot of people have even stopped blogging for now because of him

http://www.littlevoguette.blogspot.com
im new :)

mariam said...

Thanks for the lovely comment :)
Keep dropping by

Post a Comment

 
Header Image by Colorpiano Illustration